Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Intro to Astronomy Lecture

I have had the opportunity to attend many Intro to Astronomy lectures throughout the semester, since I am in the Intro to Astronomy course. Science has always been a more difficult subject for me to grasp throughout my education, and because of this it has always been my least favorite subject. Astronomy is the discussion of the entire universe and how it works. It is a very broad subject with many difficult concepts. However, from the first day of class onwards, I have discovered that Dr. Wilkerson does an excellent job lecturing about such a large amount of information to a large number of students. The energy and excitement he displays towards the subject of Astronomy automatically makes the students interested in what he is talking about. He doesn't drone on and on, listing facts and equations, however, he talks about the main points in interesting ways, and often tells interesting side stories that relate to what we're learning. I think his passion and enthusiasm for Astronomy and science in general, makes the class want to learn more. We can tell he is excited, so that in turn makes us excited. Another thing he does, both in lecture and lab, that I think is an excellent sign of good teaching, is that he answers our questions with other questions. In that way, he isn't just providing us with a straightforward answer, but teaching us how use our knowledge of what we know to answer our own questions. Astronomy has been so far, the most challenging class I've taken at Luther, but because of Dr. Wilkerson's enthusiastic teaching style, it has become one of my favorite classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment