Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Passion

My sophomore year in high school I took A.P. U.S. History, otherwise known as APUSH. It was my first A.P. class and I was mostly taking it because I had heard it was a good thing to do to get future college credit. My interest in U.S. History greatly increased from the beginning of sophomore year to the end of sophomore year. This was due to my teacher, Mrs. Clark. From the beginning we could all tell that Mrs. Clark was passionate about history. When she talked about any of the subjects her eyes would light up and you could tell she was generally interested in what she was talking about. She really knew how to get our attention and make us involved and interested in what we were learning. I don't think this would've been possible without her passion for the subject. One requirement for the class was that we visited several places of historical significance, take a picture there and write about a paragraph about what we had learned. At the beginning of the year, I thought this would be a boring task and was not looking forward to going to historical places. Mrs. Clark changed that. She shared with us stories from the places she had been, and because we could see how passionate she was about visiting these places it made us want to have similar experiences. One thing I got involved in during my sophomore year was a film festival at the historical society. I probably wouldn't have been as enthusiastic about that project without Mrs. Clark's passion. This project was not a required project for school. I just did it for fun. My dad and I made a documentary about my grandma's life and we ended up winning an award for "Best Collaborative Effort". I will always be glad I got to do that project with my dad. By the end of sophomore year, I was sad to be done with APUSH. I had started out the year taking the class because of a requirement and an interest in getting college credit, but I ended up loving what I had learned in that class. This was all due to Mrs. Clark's passion for U.S. History.

No comments:

Post a Comment